Broadly, there are four groups of people we could collaborate with:
- Customers and clients: The people you work for.
- Suppliers: The people who work for you.
- Colleagues and team members: The people you work with.
- Competitors: The people you work "against".
Guidelines for on-line collaboration:
- Use the cloud: Work on one shared document rather than multiple copies
- Show your face: Allow people to be human and show their personality
- Let go of perfection: Aim for "80% right, 100% complete" - i.e. It's better to release a product that's not perfect than to never release it at all.
- Work to a plan: Be clear about milestones, deliverables and deadlines.
- Set the ground rules: Be clear about rules and parameters for executing the plan.
- Think Global: Take into account the different locales inherent in collaborating with international partners - such as differences in language, time-zones, currency and customs.